- 02 Jul 2018
9 tips to choose the perfect handbag for networking & business events
I'm so excited to be attending Janet Murray's 'Media Influence Live' at the end of this week. Janet has created such a buzz around the event and us attendees are all getting to know one another (through every Media Channel imaginable!)
With this level of build up, I just know that the two days together will be nothing short of electric!!
To make the most of my time there, I want to feel as collected and confident as possible; because when I feel good I make connections that matter and have fun.
In my early networking/event days, I would hide in the toilets and wish the ground would swallow me up. But over time, I learnt a little preparation, some deep breaths & the right handbag are all I needed. I hope these tips help you out too.
My top 9 tips on choosing a handbag for networking, business events and conferences.
1) Choose a bag that is small enough to keep with you while you work the room, but big enough to fit a notebook and/or your tablet - I guarantee you'll want to make notes
2) Choose a bag that leaves you 'hands free'. A shoulder bag or crossbody, so that you can really get involved in conversation with the people you meet.
3) A bag with business card slots will mean you never have to rummage for an old dog-eared card again. In fact, you can carry on talking as you reach for your pristine and professional card - now that's impressive.
4) Most events will have refreshments, but a small bottle of water and a snack are great to carry. I like a bag of nuts just in case hunger strikes, and that little bottle of cold water refreshes my mind in the post lunch dip.
5) Take a bag with an interior zip pocket for your valuables. You'll be going in and out of your bag a lot, so this will keep everything safe and separate.
6) Pen pockets are great, fill them with pens and lippy. When you've taken so many notes that your pen runs out, you know precisely where your back-up is.
7) An exterior pocket for your phone is great for when you want to snap a pic, share an Instagram story with the event hashtag of course!) or connect with people you meet on the spot.
8) Multiple interior pockets are great for taking an external battery pack and charging wire for your devices, and for collecting business cards from the people you meet (don't forget to follow up with those people afterwards!)
9) And finally; why not accessorise your bag with a scarf? The benefits are two fold: A) a stylish talking point and B) something to wear when the temperature in the room drops (the air conditioning at events ALWAYS goes brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!)
I hope you find as I did, that when you have everything at your fingertips in your handbag, you feel unstoppable & full of confidence (and then everyone will want to meet you!)
Can you think of any other essentials for a networking handbag? I'd love to hear your thoughts.